Fancy yourself as the tong-master? This mouthwatering chicken is guaranteed to spice up your next BBQ
1 size 20 chicken (Roughly 2kg)
125g Jammin' JeRk Marinade (Hot or Mild depending preference)
½ bunch thyme
2 lemon, zest
2 large sweet potatoes
375ml can of beer
Lemon wedges (to serve) Jammin'
JeRk BBQ Sauce (to serve)
Murray River pink salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil Vegetable oil
1. Pre-heat the BBQ
2. Gently tease skin away from breast of chicken and massage the Jammin' JeRk marinade into the breast and then massage onto the skin.
3. Open beer can and place the can in a “beer-can chicken” holder, and lower chicken onto stand ensuring it is well secured, with the wing tips tucked back, then place the chicken in roasting dish.
4. For the potatoes, cut the potatoes into wedge shaped pieces and toss with a little vegetable oil, thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper, arrange in a single layer on a roasting tray.
5. Place chicken into the centre of the BBQ grill and the potatoes onto the resting rack, turn the centre burner off and the side burners set to low and cook with the hood down for approximately 45 minutes per kilo until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 74°c and the sweet potatoes are cooked.
6. Once cooked remove from the BBQ, cover with a clean cloth, and leave the chicken to rest for 1 hour in a warm place.
7. To serve, re-heat for 5 minutes on the BBQ, and carve and serve with sweet potatoes, BBQ sauce and lemon wedges.